Print Friendly, PDF & Email
It was a mixed bag for the Welsh regions this weekend in the European Rugby Champions Cup and European Rugby Challenge Cup with two wins and two defeats.
Cardiff Blues
Out in Italy it was another bonus-point win for the Blues on Saturday in the European Rugby Challenge Cup with a comprehensive five-try 33-18 win against Rovigo. The forwards were the architects of this successful Italian job, with five tries from Gethin Jenkins (2), Josh Turnbull, Manoa Vosawi, and Macauley Cook, whilst Rhys Patchell added four conversions.
The Blues now sit second in Pool 1, behind leaders London Irish on points difference. They will look forward to facing the exiles in the next two rounds of the competition, with the back-to-back fixtures likely to decide who wins the pool. The first game of this double header sees the Blues host Irish at the BT Sport Cardiff Arms Park on December 6 (15.15), which is exclusively live on BT Sport.
Newport Gwent Dragons
The Dragons went down to an agonizing four-point defeat at home to Newcastle Falcons at Rodney Parade on Friday evening. Despite holding a lead at half time the Dragons were unable to see off the visitors, with tries from Matthew Pewtner, Taulupe Faletau and Ashley Smith unable to take them across the finishing line against their well-drilled and determined opponents.
In the end the Dragons could only manage a losing bonus point from the fixture after they were disrupted by an injury to young fly half Angus O’Brien. Following this result they will go into their double header against Bucharest Wolves in December knowing that bonus point wins will probably be key to their progress in the competition.  
It was a long day at the office for the Ospreys versus Northampton Saints at Franklin’s Gardens in the European Rugby Champions Cup on Saturday as Wales wing George North ran in four tries against them. It was always going to be the toughest game of the season so far for the Ospreys, who hadn’t lost a game in any competition before kick off, and so it proved. Their task was made even harder by injuries ruling out number eight Dan Baker and wing Eli Walker, while they were hit again as Andrew Bishop, their defensive captain, was a late withdrawal.  
Two penalties from Dan Biggar was all the Ospreys could register against the reigning English league champions, and they will move into the next round of the competition looking for a big turnaround to their fortunes when they face Racing Métro at the Liberty Stadium.
It was better news down West as Scarlets recorded a fantastic 15-3 European Rugby Champions Cup win against Leicester Tigers at Parc Y Scarlets to keep themselves firmly in contention in Pool 3.
Despite losing several players throughout the game through injury, tries from man of the match Aled Davies and wing Harry Robinson plus a Steven Shingler conversion and penalty was enough to clinch the win in a battling encounter with Leicester.
The Scarlets will look forward to the next block of games in the competition knowing they have all to play for in their double header against Ulster and every chance of making it through to the European Rugby Champions Cup quarter-finals.